We are about a quarter of the way through the year, so if you haven’t yet, it is officially time to get your ish together. Re-evaluating, re-grouping and re-organizing your life on a semi-annual basis, is good for the mind, body and soul. We promise you will feel refreshed after doing a little spring cleaning, so let’s start with your makeup.
Spring is such a wonderful time of year because everyone seems to be so happy. Maybe it’s due to the fact that it’s wedding season, and the weather is always sunny and 75 (at least where I am in Florida). It is also a good time to evaluate what you have accomplished so far this year and what you wish to for the rest of it.
There are so many different areas of our lives that we have to focus on that it can be impossible to not feel overwhelmed. So we have found that by taking a couple times of year to reflect on those areas and do a little refresh, it can help you to stay focused on what is important and weed out any old or useless junk. This can be applied to all areas of your life, but since our makeup collections are a great example of something that can get very messy if you don’t keep up with it, we thought we would start there.
Cleaning Your Makeup
You can think of your makeup as a metaphor for your life. We usually go for the shiny new expensive products and then we forget about the old ones. The more eyebrow pencil shaving scraps we leave in our sharpener over time, the bigger the mess is when it accidentally opens up and spills all over the inside of our makeup bags…etc.
- Throw away old makeup – Everything in life has an expiration date and the same goes for makeup. Here is a helpful chart for the life span of your makeup products:
- Wash your brushes – Bacteria builds up on your makeup brushes and beauty blenders every single day. So to avoid breakouts and bacterial infections, you need to wash them at the very least, once per month with brush cleanser, and if you don’t have some, anti-bacterial hand soap will work too.
Just gently massage the bushes with your fingers or on a brush cleansing pad under warm water with a little soap. You can use a dry paper towel or wash cloth to pat them dry and then let them air dry.
- Crystal organizer – These organizers are major key and a neat freak’s dream. They are one of the best options for keeping your makeup in check because they are customizable and stackable, so you can build your organizer exactly how you want it to perfectly hold your products and fit where you need it to fit. We found ours at The Container Store, but they sell them at other places such as Home Goods.
Other Spring Cleaning Tips
Like we said, all areas of our lives could use a good spring cleaning. Here are some other ideas for getting a fresh start:
- Clothing – In addition to your makeup, doing a deep dive into your wardrobe once in awhile is a must. Your style changes over time and so do the trends, so most likely, you have items hanging in your closet and sitting in your drawers that you will never wear again. So why let them collect dust and go to waste when you can give them a better home?
Some pieces of clothing only belong in one place; the trash. But others that are still in good condition, can be sold on ebay for some extra cash, or donated to someone in need. (Click here to read our guide for how to sell stuff on ebay.)
Tip: If you are a pack rat who has a hard time parting ways with stuff because you think you “may need it some day”, try putting all of your clothes on a hanger facing a certain direction and then once you wear them, switch the direction of the hanger. After 6 months, anything that you didn’t flip the hanger, get rid of it. (Excluding seasonal items like jackets for winter etc.)
- Clean out your email inboxes – If you are like us, you have a few different email accounts which means way too many emails and an overflowing, out of control, inbox.
Spend some time sorting through your messages, deleting any that are old, unimportant or no longer relevant. If you are subscribed to any email lists, only keep the ones you truly need to read, and unsubscribe from the rest. (Not ours though, of course! :] ) All email lists are required to provide an unsubscribe link at the very bottom of the email. This will get rid of a lot of unnecessary clutter.
- Cleanse your social life – With all the political craziness going on, people love to share their every thought on social media even more than before. The negativity can really be detrimental to your mental health and distract you from what is truly important in your life.
It feels really good to go through your social feeds, remove and block any negative Nancys. To live a positive life, you need to surround yourself with positive vibes and positive people. You may even want to consider doing a friendship cleanse.
Everyday Is A Fresh Start
It doesn’t have to be spring for you to do a life cleanse. Any day that you feel just completely overwhelmed with life and the millions of things that you have going on, take a personal day for yourself to just sort through your messes and start over. You don’t have to do everything at once either, pick something and start small. We always feel SO much better and happier after we do any type of cleanse, and we know that you will too.
What spring cleaning tips do you have?