No matter how hard we try to fight it, sometimes sweet cravings takes over the best of us and we have no choice but to give in. We just want to let you ladies know that you are not alone. Here are some ideas for how to handle a sweet craving; the healthy way.
When You Want To Avoid Eating Completely
- Drink water – Believe it or not, but sometimes when your body is sending you hungry signals, it’s actually because it’s thirsty. Always try drinking a full glass of water first to see if your body was just trying to tell you it needed water, and if you are still hungry then at least you will eat less now that you have filled your stomach with water.
- Take a bubble bath or go for a walk – Sometimes your mind tells you that you need a snack or a sweet because it is bored, so if you do something else to get your mind off of it, it will most likely go away completely.
- Brush your teeth – This one works REALLY well. There is just something about once your teeth are brushed and your mouth is all minty fresh, that seriously kills cravings. This trick almost always works for me. Almost.
- Chew gum – If you are not at home to brush your teeth, keep a pack of minty gum in your purse to pop in when you are surrounded by sugary goodies. This trick works just like the brushing your teeth one.
Another alternative to minty gum is a dessert flavored gum, Project7 sells tons of different fun flavored gums that might kick your cravings, some that we have tried include birthday cake and Girl Scout cookies!
When You Can’t Say No – Give In Without The Guilt
Sometimes we have the strength to just say no to the sweets, but other times it is far from easy and we end up giving in. A huge tip that we have found to be extremely helpful, is to ALWAYS have healthy sweet-tooth satisfying options easily available to you at all times.
If you can’t fight the urge and you don’t have anything healthy around, the chances of you making a regrettable decision are very high. This is why we always have these options close by:
- Plain greek yogurt with 1 heaping tablespoon of nut butter. – We know that plain greek yogurt can be an acquired taste, but it saves you loads of sugar that is found in most flavored yogurts. We get through the bitterness by adding a couple drops of liquid Stevia (Trader Joe’s has the best one.) There are also so many possibilities for toppings that make it an extremely delicious and satisfying sweet treat.
- Sugar free jello with whipped cream. – These yummy little cups are only 10 calories and kick those sweet cravings to the curb. Top with some whipped cream and you will be good to go. It’s quick, easy and hits the spot.
- Home made one ingredient ice cream. – It might sound crazy, but it’s true, you can make all natural, no sugar added, nonfat ice cream right at home! You literally just need bananas. We always keep them peeled, chopped and in the freezer, ready to go if a sweet craving strikes! You can throw them in your small food processor, Magic Bullet or even buy a fruit-ice cream maker which is designed to dispense it just like froyo! We recommend the Magic Bullet Dessert Bullet or the Yananas.
If you want to get more creative with it, you can add things like cashew milk, nut butter, PB2, cocoa powder or our favorite, Lilly’s stevia sweetened dark chocolate chips. You can try one of our favorite recipes here.
- Homemade healthy sour patch kids – So Sour Patch kids are one of my favorite candies of all time, so of course I had to find a healthy way to eat them. All you need to do is sprinkle some green grapes with sugar free jello mix and pop into the freezer. Okay, i’ll admit, it’s not exactly the same but it does the trick! I always keep these in my freezer for tough times.
- ICE flavored waters – I have been OBSESSED with these waters ever since I discovered them a couple years ago. Now, they have become more popular than ever and have come out with so many new flavors. These are zero calorie, zero sugar, zero carb, zero everything flavored waters and they seriously taste amazing. It’s almost hard to believe. They are also carbonated which makes you feel really full. So lately, when a sweet craving attacks, I just grab one of these and the sweetness combined with the carbonation gets rid of any urges I had to indulge in something naughty.
- Make Some Tea – Many people have found a nice fresh cup of brewed tea, to curb their sweet cravings. A cup of green or peppermint tea with a dash of Stevia and lemon after dinner can usually do the trick.
- Halo Top Ice Cream – If you have a major weakness for ice cream like we do, you HAVE to give this brand a try. They are a healthier alternative to ice cream that you can find at most popular grocery stores. Unlike other healthy ice creams, they actually taste good. And when we say good we mean amazing. If you didn’t know it was healthy, you could never tell!
TIP: For optimal results, let the pint sit out on the counter a couple minutes to soften before eating for creamy perfection.
Our favorite flavors are the chocolate chip cookie dough and salted caramel. (Detailed flavor review coming soon!)
What are some of your favorite ways to satisfy a sweet craving?