There are two kinds of women in this world. Women who don’t like coffee, and women who literally can not function without it. We are unapologetic-ally, the later of the two. In order to have a remotely productive day, or have any type of civilized human conversation, we believe coffee must be consumed. Those coffee mugs that say “but first, coffee”, are no joking matter. They are a public service announcement.
The downside of requiring a daily dose of coffee, is the possible side effect of weight gain. However, you can avoid weight gain and actually lose weight by drinking coffee every single day, if you do so correctly.
So for all of you coffee addicts and caffeine queens who are also workin’ on your fitness, this one is for you. Whether you make your own at home, or you pick it up on the way to work from your favorite franchise drive-thru window, we will give you the do’s and don’ts for having your coffee and drinking it too.
If You Like To Make It Yourself
Making coffee at home is our favorite option for many reasons, but mainly because it is the cheaper option and it will save you money in the long run. Also because you can have complete control over the measurements of each ingredient. In fact, when it comes to making any meals or beverages you consume, it is always better to do it yourself for this reason.
If you are one of those people who can drink your coffee completely black, with nothing in it, then we totally envy you and you should keep doing what you are doing because that is the healthiest way to drink your coffee and reap all of the benefits it has to offer, without adding any additional unnecessary nutrients!
Did you know
A cup of black coffee has less than five calories? And for the price of five little calories, you get the benefits of increased energy levels, increased fat burning, improved physical performance, lowered risk of type 2 Diabetes, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, cancer fighting antioxidants, happiness, a longer life and many other possible benefits!
But unfortunately, not all of us have the superpower of being able to drink our coffee straight up, so in order to make it enjoyable or at least drinkable, we will need to add some yummy goodness. This is where you need to be careful, because you can very quickly turn a five calorie beverage into a five-hundred calorie beverage.
There are many delicious liquid coffee creamers out there, and the number of new, mouth-watering flavors is just too many to count. Cinnamon bun, chocolate chip cookie dough, pumpkin spice?! They are all super delicious and a super convenient choice to spice up your coffee every morning, just a little splash and you have yourself a cup of heaven, right? WRONG! Although delicious, preparing your coffee like this and consuming it every single morning, is very detrimental to your health and fitness goals, even worse if you drinking even more than one cup per day.
It is no wonder that those coffee creamers make our drinks taste so delicious.It is because they bring along tons of extra grams of fat, sugars, carbs and a long list of chemicals with them! The average french vanilla coffee liquid creamer has about 35 calories, 1.5g fat, 5g sugar and 5g carbs. Doesn’t sound like much right? Well that is for only a 1 tbsp serving… and let’s be real, we are all using more than 1 tbsp serving and whose measuring? As if these creamers aren’t already sweet enough, some people still add sugar! The madness has got to stop! We know those creamers taste really good, but you can train yourself to enjoy your coffee other very delicious ways that are healthy!
When it comes to turning your daily dose of coffee into a healthy, nutrient packed, energy boost, there are tons of possibilities! Let’s start by swapping out those love handle forming creamers with healthier alternatives.
- Unsweetened Almond or cashew Milk -You can choose original, vanilla, coconut, or any other flavor that catches your eye, but make sure it is UNsweetened and not sweetened. Unsweetened almond milk doesn’t contain any sugar, whereas the sweetened version adds more than 16g of sugar and triple the calories. These non-dairy milks also have double the calcium of regular milk! (Our favorite choice)
- Coconut Milk – Also non-dairy, gives a slight coconut flavor without the sugar, when you choose the unsweetened version.
- Fat Free or Skim Milk. – A healthier option, but not ideal for a low carb diet since a serving of skim milk contains about 12g of sugar. It does contain about 9g of protein though and much less fat than 2% or whole milk.
- Half and Half – An excellent option for those on low carb diets who want to give their coffee that smooth, creamy taste!
- Zero Calorie Creamer – Walden Farms makes a couple different coffee creamers that are zero calories, zero sugar, zero fat and made with all natural ingredients. They may sound too good to be true, but we promise they are awesome coffee creamer alternatives! Our favorites are the mocha and the french vanilla.
- Liquid Stevia Drops – All natural, liquid Stevia drops are the best for sweetening your coffee or sweetening anything that you want to sweeten. We have found the liquid version to be much better than the granulated version, but nowadays there are tons of different kinds and brands. Our absolute favorite so far, is the Trader Joe’s Organic Liquid Stevia drops. A little goes a long way, and all it takes is one half of the dropper to sweeten your coffee to perfection so the small jar will last you a long time!
- Xylitol – ⅓ the calories of sugar and a low glycemic index, this is a great all natural alternative.
- Coconut Sugar – Lower percentage of fructose than regular cane sugar, but not by much, so use this one very sparingly.
ZERO CALORIE FLAVOR SWAPS
- Cinnamon – Boost your immune system for virtually no calories.
- Cocoa Powder – Gives your coffee a delicious chocolaty flavor and also contributes to your daily dose of iron, magnesium and zinc.
- Extracts – Vanilla, peppermint and almond extracts add a yummy twist.
Cup Of Joe On The Go
Some of us prefer to have someone else make our coffee for us, and sometimes grabbing it on the go is just the easier option. Whether it’s your everyday routine, or it is a once in awhile sort of thing, either way, we will all have to order our java out at some point, so why not be prepared with the best options for our waistlines?
This is probably our favorite coffee-on-the-go spot because they have many delicious low calorie flavor options that you may or may not even know exist! Since our home base is in Florida, iced coffee is usually the way to go, so we almost always opt for an iced coffee, but during the one month of Winter we get, we may go for the hot. But whether it is hot or cold, this is what we recommend:
- Order it black with a flavor shot. Black means no cream or sugar, and many people don’t know this, but Dunkin offers a selection of flavor shots that are less than 5 calories and no sugar! The flavor options are: blueberry, caramel, cinnamon, coconut, french vanilla, hazelnut, raspberry, and toasted almond. These flavors are so good that you may not even need to add any sweetener at all, but if you do, here are your best options:
- Ask for skim milk which will give it a little more sweetness without adding tons of sugar (it does contain some natural sugar/carbs) but it has no fat!
- Almond milk – DD now offers almond milk as an option, however they only offer the sweetened one, so this will increase the sugar and calories.
- Zero calorie sweetener – As of now, the only zero calorie sweetener that DD carries is Splenda, which we wouldn’t normally recommend since we prefer a natural sweetener over an artificial sweetener any day, but if you are on a low carb diet and really watching your sugar, 1 packet of Splenda in your iced coffee won’t do too much harm.
However, if you plan to make this a daily habit, we would highly recommend investing in a bottle of the Organic Liquid Stevia Drops from Trader Joe’s that we mentioned earlier and keeping it in your purse or at your desk so that you can easily add it to your coffee on the go.
Another favorite, but a little on the pricier side. We listed this second since it is harder to find a location with a drive thru window, which makes it a little less convenient when you have to park and go inside and wait in an always long line.
There is however now a way to avoid the long lines, because they are geniuses, Starbucks recently made it so that you can order AND pay ahead on their phone app and have your order waiting for you at the counter so you can just grab it and go. You still have to walk your happy butt inside, but this will save you loads of time, and you can even order snacks too!
The more you use the app, the more rewards you get towards free stuff! If you haven’t downloaded the Starbuck’s app yet, you need to do it right now and you can thank us later.
So what should you order?
- Cafe Americano – For only 11 calories, this is a great option to give you that jolt of energy you need to wake up and get through the day. All it is is a shot of espresso topped with water. You can get this hot or iced and they have delicious sugar free syrups (Our favorite combo is Sugar-free Mocha and Sugar-free Peppermint.) They also have all natural Stevia now available as well.
- Make It Skinny – Starbucks will make most of their beverages “skinny” even if they are not listed on their menu, so don’t be scared to ask! That way, you can still enjoy your favorites minus all the extra naughtiness.
How Do You Drink Your Coffee?
We want to know! Do you drink coffee every day? How many cups do you have? What are your healthy coffee swaps and tips!? We would love to know! Share them in the comments below.